Reorganization and Redeployment 
Stateside Training
Campaign in France
Campaign in Germany
Reorganization and Redeployment
Stations and Biouvacs
Men of Company A
Historical Photographs
Battalion Commanders
Artwork of Eldon "Ole" Olin
back to Unit History

       Two weeks after Victory in Europe, the Battalion closed at Ingolstadt, Germany, where on 1 June 1945 it was redesignated as the 33rd Signal Light Construction Battalion.  Reorganization under T/O 11-25, dates 25 February 1944 was completed at this time.  As the new T/O only called for an enlisted strength of 416 (whereas the former T/O enlisted strength was 571) it would at first glance that only the best men could be retained by the unit.  However this was not true, because of directives calling for men with point score of 85 and 38 years of age to be sent to the United States.  Final selection of men for positions in the first three grades was made only after a careful and comprehensive study of his past performance by his company commander.

      As orders had been received for direct redeployment to the Pacific area, the unit departed from Inglostadt on the 4th of June 1945 for Calas, France, arriving there the 9th of June.
      Showdown type inspections were conducted and turn in  of organizational equipment for packaging and shipment was initiated.  The Battalion Motor Pool Officer was appointed TQM and he supervised the loading of all unit equipment aboard freighter type ships.  After one false start, the personnel were loaded aboard the USS General Gordon on the 24th of July 1945.  Ten days later the ship put in to Cristbal, Panama, where the men were allowed ashore for a period of three hours, during which time the USO furnished refreshments and entertainment.  Our next port of call was Ulithi, where instructions were received to proceed to Bahangus, Luzon, then to Manila.  During the trip across the Pacific there existed a high state of excitement, due the  USAAF having dropped the Atomic Bomb, Russia declaring war on Japan and the Japs putting out feelers for peace terms.
        The Battalion disembarked in Manila on 31 August 1945 and proceeded by rail to Camp Angeles, Luzon, Philippines.  As this was only a transient camp, our stay here was only a matter of a few days.  The next move was to Camp Porac, this was a signal camp for troops under ASCOMO and one of the duties assigned to our unit was the administration of the camp.  During the stay here, supply drew from Ordnance about 50% of T/O vehicles.  Shortly after arrival at Porac, warning orders for preparation of impending move to Japan were received.  Using organic transportation only, the unit shuttled to the Sixth Army Staging Area #25, located near Baung, Luzon, Philippines.  Plans were laid for movement to Honshu, Japan, the move started 24 October 1945, using three ships (AKA Types) and completed 3 November 1945 at Wakamma Beach.  With unloading accomplished, movement to final destination, Koshiem Stadium, near Osaka, Honshu, was made.  Here orders for inactivation were received, and the men started for separation centers.

Back to the Top